Links to Enrollment Forms
School Entrance Age
Children must be 5 years old on or before September 30th of the school year to be eligible to attend Kindergarten. There are no exceptions to this state requirement.
Powhatan County Public Schools is pleased to offer a Pre-Kindergarten program for four-year-old children. The goal of the program is to provide a healthy learning environment for children who may experience factors that place them at risk for poor school performance. The selection of students will be based on student & family needs according to program guidelines for the Virginia Preschool Initiative. Enrollment priority will be given to children with the greatest number of factors that may impact their learning. Factors considered include but are not limited to:
· Income level of the parent/legal guardian
· Education level of the parents
· Child characteristics
· Family stress
· English as a second language
Two classes will be located at Pocahontas Elementary School. The classes will operate on the same calendar and school schedule as the elementary schools. Each class will be limited to 18 students. Children will be transported from their home school zones. *Location is subject to change.
This is not a first-come, first-served program. To be eligible for the program, children must be legal residents of Powhatan County and be four years of age by September 30, 2020. Applications must be filled out completely. Proof of residency and financial information will be requested once applications are reviewed. Families will be required to attend meetings and field trips with their child in this program.
For additional information please contact the Powhatan County Administration Office at 804-598-5700.
Applications are available at all elementary schools: Flat Rock, Pocahontas, Powhatan and the School Administration Offices at 4920 Anderson Hwy, or online at www.powhatan.k12.va.us Applications should be returned to any elementary school or the School Administration Offices. The deadline for returning applications is May 8, 2020.
Students must reside with a parent or legal guardian in Powhatan County to attend Powhatan County Public Schools. The school system may re-verify Powhatan residency any time a student is enrolled in Powhatan County Schools. Students attend the school in their attendance area unless a variance is granted.
Required Enrollment Documentation
Forms required for school enrollment are listed below. Parents/Guardians may also complete this fillable Powhatan County Student Enrollment form linked here. Adobe Reader is required to complete this form on your computer. Adobe Reader is available for free download and linked here. Please complete the form, save and print it, and bring it when enrolling at school.
To enroll in school, proof of Powhatan County residence is required by providing one of these documents:
- Deed or lease agreement of a residence in Powhatan County
- Contract to purchase a residence in Powhatan County
- Parents/Guardians submitting a notarized “lives with” form when enrolling must bring the person they live with. That person must provide proof of county residency, and the parent/guardian must provide two supporting documents with his or her name indicating that he/she resides at this address.
Additional enrollment documentation required:
- One additional proof of address. Acceptable forms include a utility bill or landline telephone bill.
- Certified original birth certificate (or school-age affidavit in accordance with state law)
- Record of a physical examination performed within the last 12 months
- Updated immunization records listing dates of each state-required immunization. More information on Commonwealth of Virginia immunization requirements linked here
- Copy of Current Legal Custodial Documentation, if applicable
- Copy of most recent report card
- Copy of SOL scores (if transferring from a Virginia public school)
- Copy of most recent IEP or 504 Plan, if applicable
- A physical examination is required for any student entering public school in Virginia for the first time in grades K-6. The required Commonwealth of Virginia School Health Entrance Form is linked here